Darite Heritage committee,
2011-12-20

Minutes of the Darite Heritage committee meeting held at the Darite village hall on 2011-12-20 at 19:30. Readership is public. This document was approved by the committee on 2012-01-17.


Present:
Peter Jackson        (Acting chair)
Debbie Rowan
Martin Shead
Rebecca Ross
Howard Jones

Apologies:

Sherry Foreman, Michael Foreman, Alan Silverstone, Simon Humphreys.

Minutes from 2011-11-15 were approved.

Matters arising

Bank account

Yet to be set up. Agreed that DR, PNJ and RR would be the signatories and that we would require two signatures for any authorisation. Arranged to meet at 12:00 on Thursday, 2011-12-29 to visit the Britannia building society with documentation to set up the account. There was mention of the need for an authorising letter from the governing body of Darite Heritage. We think that the constitution and the agreement in these minutes provides authorisation.

Action: PNJ, RR, DR

Ordnance Survey licence

PNJ has not yet pursued this. Discussed the requirements of the display board. Agreed that the map portion involved should include Trethevy Quoit, the visitor centre at Minions, Stowe's Hill and Crows Nest. We felt it was not necessary to explicitly include St Cleer and Tremar, perhaps just an indication of their direction. This will make the scale of the map most appropriate for showing information at a usable scale.

Action: PNJ

Feedback from Railway Terrace History Day

Agreed that the event was very enjoyable and there was a lot to learn from it. The food provided was excellent.

It would have been better to have the projection screen on the stage rather than on the floor as it was hard for people to see from the back.

We discussed doing similar events in the future, with two possibilities emerging:

  1. Have John Manley back in the spring to present something on the lesser known structures and then do a walk afterwards to go and see what he was describing. The waterwheel remains seem particularly intriguing. This will depend on John Manley's availability.

    Action: PNJ to discuss with John Manley.

  2. Somewhen around September we might organise a walk to include Holmans and other places that have been renovated to see what's been done. There could be people dressed in 19th century garb to explain things en route. Could be done in conjunction with Sterts Theatre if Julia could be persuaded to organise it.

    Action: RR to talk to Julia.

Stone walls

Agreed we should write the letter to the planning group about preferred materials and styles for stone walls in the area.

HJ suggested that we should also have a separate paragraph recommending the use of local granite in buildings to be in keeping with the area. If local granite is unavailable, geologically similar granite (obtainable from Portugal or France) is acceptable.

Action: PNJ to circulate a draft letter for agreement.

Monument watch

PNJ described the nature of this group and that anyone who would like to volunteer can get in touch with Iain Rowe.

Projects status

Display board

Nothing further will happen until the OS permissions are obtained.

Future events and projects

Himalayan balsalm

MS has pencilled in 7th and 8th July for this event as part of the village schedule.

HJ thinks that the infestation at Tremar is now beyond the remedy of manual clearance. He has a map showing where the plant is growing and has discussed the issue with James McFarlane (Cornwall environmental services) with a view to raising it with the new lord of Rosecraddoc manor. It could be cleared by machine with contractors next year and the following year's growth would be clearable by hand.

Our plan for July would therefore depend on the outcome of these discussions.

Quiz night

This could take place on the evening of 2012-03-03. RR will organise it, with help from Adele. The purpose of the event is to interest people in the village and to raise money. It will be for adults only on this occasion.

Action: RR

Other events

An event to visit some working bee hives could take place around May.

Action: RR

HJ thinks that somewhen in February/March, depending on conditions, would be a good time to consider investigating frog spawn and perhaps collecting some for garden ponds. He is willing to lead a walking group in this activity. The date can't yet be planned and we will finalise this at the February committee meeting.

AOB

Hours should be sent to RR at the end of each month. RR will send hours from last month to CHAHP, with estimates of time from those involved in the history day.

Next meeting

The next DH committee meeting will be on 2012-01-17 at 19:30, to be chaired by PNJ.

Updates

This document is maintained by members of the Darite community. Comments are always welcome and should be addressed to heritage at darite dot org dot uk.
  1. PNJ, 2011-12-20. Transcribed from notes made at the meeting.
  2. PNJ, 2012-01-26. Approved on 2012-01-17. Corrected minor typo.
$Id: //WEB/Darite/Heritage/publish/MINUTES/2011/DH_2011-12-20.HTML#2 $
$Change: 6438 $ $DateTime: 2012/02/11 17:23:42 $ $Author: JACKSON_PN $

Any text you see at this point onwards is the result of the style sheet used by this document being inaccessible or corrupt. The document content above is usable but probably renders less elegantly than the author intended.

Darite

Public