Darite Heritage committee,
2012-04-17

Minutes of the Darite Heritage committee meeting held at Darite village hall on 2012-04-17 at 19:30 BST. Readership is public. This document was approved at the committee meeting of 2012-07-17.


Present:
Howard Jones        (Acting chair)
Martin Shead
Debbie Rowan
Peter Jackson
Alan Silverstone
Apologies:
Rebecca Ross
Sherry Foreman
Michael Foreman
(RR has had to step back from DH activity for the next few months. PNJ will act as secretary during this time)

Minutes from 2012-02-21 were approved.

Matters arising

Bank account

DR reported that the bank account is now live but that it is not yet possible to pay money in via the Post Office without some additional paperwork. However, BACS should work and we can transfer money to the account that way.

DR has £20.75 plus £41.00 (from quiz night) to pay in.

Action: DR to pursue Post Office paperwork if this remains desirable.

Feedback from quiz night

HJ said he thought it was a very good night. The people that came seemed to enjoy it and it was fun. The questions were challenging. Perhaps the next one (and we agreed we should aim to do another one) could include extra questions specifically aimed at younger participants and have a prize in that category.

PNJ reported that some people had suggested we should publish the answers so that they could learn about the things they didn't know. Expanding on this, HJ suggested we could publish these in a Q and A format so that people could test themselves online if they wished.

Action: PNJ to publish as suggested.

News

Landscape Celebration

PNJ reported from a discussion he'd had with Iain Rowe the previous day. This year's Landscape Celebration has the theme "Village People" [Last year's was "Hard Rock Life"].

The exhibition will be at Stuart House and possibly the Museum too, starting on 2012-06-25 for two weeks. We will be invited to send a representative to the launch event. Afterwards it will be at the Liskeard Show and will tour the local villages, so we would host it for perhaps a weekend at Darite.

We are encouraged to provide a display about Darite, interpreting the theme however we wish. CHAHP will supply display materials (boards etc) which we can retain subsequently.

All agreed that this is a good opportunity to highlight the village and especially the school.

We imagine at least two display panels:

  1. From the school, using mostly existing material - work that was done for the display board and work from earlier projects about village history.
  2. Images from past village events, showing the social life of the village. In addition to images we have, we should ask David Hambly to contribute from his archives.

Actions:
HJ will liase with Sarah Hawker about the school's contribution.
MS to contact David Hambly and also select local material for display.
PNJ to report our display requirements to Iain Rowe and query sizes wrt the small rooms at Stuart House.
All involved to work to a preparation deadline of 2012-05-31.

Projects status

Display board

Not specifically discussed

Biosphere 2

Sue cannot now make the original proposed date. The next likely date would be the weekend of 2012-07-27. We will know at the end of June. We should advertise the talk widely.

Action: AS to mail the committee as soon as a date can be confirmed.

Himalayan Balsalm event

Planned for the weekend of 2012-05-26,27. Martin is liasing with Derris. The food and barbecue will be organised by people at Tremar. Our role is to provide bodies. Slight concern that continuing cold weather may mean the growth is not optimum.

HJ emphasised the importance of starting the work at the highest point to minimise the risk of reseeding.

HJ plans to liase with the council to ensure coherent action.

Future events

We should do an astronomy night during the winter months.

The spawn event was enjoyed by all. HJ suggested we do something similar, again aimed at younger people, during the summer. Perhaps just a ramble to go out and see what we can observe of the ecosystem.

Next meeting

The next DH committee meeting will be on 2012-05-15 at 19:30 BST, to be chaired by HJ (or MS if HJ is unavailable).

Any other business

Hours

Hours should be reported to PNJ at the end of each calendar month. HJ suggested that DH officers should automatically report 5 hours a month, since it is likely that their duties occupy at least that amount of time.

Local planning

AS raised his concerns that planning applications sometimes seem to be passed without obvious due diligence about environmental impact. AS routinely monitors planning applications. We agreed that he should alert the committee to anything of concern and that we should swiftly communicate with the planning authorities when there appear to be issues that could be detrimental to the quality of the area as a world heritage site.

AS reported that sometimes planning applications are published very late on the council web site, so there can be a smaller window of opportunity to comment than there should be.

HJ said he would draft a letter from Darite Heritage to the planning authorities asking them not to approve plans that would be detrimental to the local heritage.

Action: HJ to draft a letter and circulate it to the committee.

Light pollution was mentioned as one example of a risk that seems to go unnoticed.


Updates

This document is maintained by members of the Darite community. Comments are always welcome and should be addressed to heritage at darite dot org dot uk.
  1. PNJ, 2012-04-17. Transcribed from notes made at the meeting. Additional commentary added in square brackets [thus].

Any text you see at this point onwards is the result of the style sheet used by this document being inaccessible or corrupt. The document content above is usable but probably renders less elegantly than the author intended.
Public