Minutes of the Darite Heritage committee meeting held at Darite village hall on 2012-08-21 at 19:30 BST. Readership is public. This document was approved at the AGM on 2012-09-18.
Howard Jones (Chair) Peter Jackson Martin Shead Debbie Rowan Alan SilverstoneApologies:
Minutes accepted from July with the amendment that the AGM will be on the 18th, not the 11th.
CHAHP PPG reportPNJ attended this meeting at Stuart House on 2012-08-14 and described the key points of it:
- A change in organisation within the project. Steve Wood in overall charge. A project manager and an administrative assistant to be added to the team.
- They will appeal to continue the use of Asulox for bracken control. Its impending ban is due to possible carcinogenic properties when applied to food plants. They said that the appeal can't be submitted until the ban comes into effect [December 2012 I think - PNJ].
- Work on the South Caradon mine buildings has been slower than hoped, due to bad weather. Expecting to extend the duration of the project.
- Much discussion about delays in capital payments, said to be due to problems with recently changed Council infrastructure.
- There's an opportunity to suggest local projects as part of a change request process to HLF.
Comments about this were:
- Where was the PPG advertised? HJ is on a CHAHP mailing list but received no notification (except via PNJ).
- There should have been correspondence to inform us about the payment problems, rather than relying on word of mouth which is unreliable.
- Bracken: HJ expressed concern that previous treatments might be wasted if there isn't an exemption because an infestation requires multiple treatments.
- Project suggestions discussed under Gonamena valley below.
Gonamena valleyA discussion about the stream wall and the response to our letter.
- The problem there has been evident for at least 4 years and we'd like a specific committment to a time by which the stream wall will be repaired, or at least provided with a temporary remedy to minimise further erosion.
- We'd prefer to see the stream wall repair undertaken as a specific urgen action rather than being subsumed in a wider project for the valley which will take longer to organise.
- The Issue mentioned is lower down the valley and of less immediate concern to us. We wonder if it could be addressed in the longer term by constructing something to channel it, since we agree that stopping it at source might be difficult.
- Valley access requires further discussion (but see one of the project suggestions below). The current routes have been in use for at least 12 years. Again, this is peripheral to the stream wall concern.
Action:PNJ to respond to this effect.
The discussion sparked some good ideas about work we might suggest CHAHP could undertake:
- Position some large granite stones from the Caradon Hill quarry to prevent vehicular access from the western side of the valley. Perhaps something similar is needed near the south entrance.
- Investigate and repair the river tunnel at the head of the valley to prevent more of the archway from collapsing.
- Improve the condition of the Bal Lane bridleway between Darite and Crows Nest.
- Improve the condition of the footpath that runs behind Darite to Menadue (known by some as "Fairy Lane").
- Fund the legal expenses which will be incurred to transfer ownership of the lane behind the village hall to the village hall charity.
Action:PNJ to communicate suggestions to CHAHP.
Fungus walkSometime in mid-October. Requires a specialist. We could prepare mushroom soup for afterwards and charge for that.
Action: PNJ to try and contact a fungus specialist who could lead a walk.
AGMAsk CHAHP to publish it on their web site and request a presentation from them about works at South Caradon and CHAHP in general.
Arrange for part of the Village People exhibition to be set up in the hall.
Ask Lisa to mention on Darite Facebook.
Next meetingTuesday 2012-09-18 - the AGM. To be chaired by PNJ.
2 hours research by AS.
All spent of the order of 2 hours reviewing/drafting letters.
This meeting closed at 21:00 BST.
Any other businessAS described what he knew about a planning application for perhaps 12 or 15 low cost houses which falls on an area that is part of the course of the railway. This is a pre-application and doesn't state what the total development size will be. Should we lodge an objection on the basis that the site has world heritage status and the plans don't account for that?
Action: AS to find out how DH can register an interest.
There are other grounds for concern besides the above. Village size and vehicle hazzards were mentioned. [But they fall outside the scope of the DH Constitution. - PNJ]
This discussion also raised the concern that Darite has no designated green space. It seems desirable to ensure that the school field should be given Village Green status. This would be done via the Parish Council.
Action: MS to discuss with Derris Watson.
UpdatesThis document is maintained by members of the Darite community. Comments are always welcome and should be addressed to heritage at darite dot org dot uk.
- PNJ, 2012-08-31. Transcribed from notes made at the meeting. Additional commentary added in square brackets [thus].
- PNJ, 2012-11-16. Register approval at the AGM.