Darite Heritage committee,
2013-05-08

Minutes of the Darite Heritage committee meeting held at Darite village hall on 2013-05-08 at 20:00 BST. Readership is public. This document was approved by the committee at the meeting on 2013-06-12.


Present:
Peter Jackson (Chair)
Martin Shead
Debbie Rowan
Michael Foreman
Sherry Foreman
Mark Mays
Apologies:
Rebecca Ross
Alan Silverstone

Minutes and matters arising

Minutes from 2013-04-10 and the previous minutes from 2013-03-13 and 2013-02-13. were all accepted without modification.

Action review

DR to meet Brian Hooper again to clarify requirements.
Brian visited the Village Hall coffee morning on 2013-04-20 where arrangements were discussed. CLOSED
MS to prepare publicity material for owl event.
Martin prepared material and it was distributed as planned. CLOSED
PNJ to investigate bat detectors and moth traps.
PNJ to investigate finding a bat expert for the June event.
These are underway. PNJ is liasing with LAPWG. More details expected to emerge in the next few days.
MS to fix a date for springwatch event with Lisa Townsend.
This is now obsolete. Liason with the school is more difficult than we'd like. Agreed that we should discuss that further. (On agenda for next meeting).
MS to discuss school involvement with the owl event with Lisa Townsend and Emma Mullis.
See above.
PNJ to discuss funding for a portable projector with CHAHP.
We are soon to receive a projector from CHAHP. CLOSED
PNJ to discuss supervision of Owl event with Becky and Iain.
Becky and Iain weren't available. MF agreed to discuss with Lisa Townsend and Emma Mullis. We agreed that the backup would be good but would probably be OK without it. CLOSED

Owl event

We found out that Brian Hooper would be accompanied by a colleague and that the use of outside space, perhaps the school field, would be desirable.

We plan to serve refreshments in the hall alongside the event. We should make it clear to people not to mix refreshments with owls.

There was some uncertainty about logistics. In the absence of clarification we will adapt to what emerges on the day.

Future events

The events we have scheduled are the Bat and Moth event, the AGM and the Balsalm weekend.

Bat and Moth event

MS agreed to create posters for the event and we agreed that we would carry out the same distribution as for the Owl event, distributing during the week beginning 2013-06-17.

MM commented that the Village May Day posters were more readable from a distance than the Owl event posters. Perhaps use the same typeface as the Village Hall poster and a light background.

We expect to start at about 19:00. There could be a presentation in the hall, but we think a kind of exhibition would work better, with information coming informally through interaction with the experts during the evening.

The moth traps can be set up during the early evening and sunset will be at around 21:30BST.

MS agreed to manage the barbecue preparations. We will have a better idea of what we need after the Meadow Fayre on 2013-06-08. It will be a "standard" barbecue, charging £2 per burger and £1.50 per Hot Dog.

CHAHP news

PNJ attended the CHAHP PPG meeting at Liskeard on 2013-05-07.

Matters of special interest are:

Trethevy footpath improvement
A 2-day stone wall repair course (Date unknown at present)
Could be of interest in Darite. It may also include fencing and gate hanging.
Gonamena valley
This project has been approved by the HLF but there isn't any documentation for it that we can see. There will be another meeting with Tony Bolitho to finalise plans. PNJ suggested that someone from Darite should be present, perhaps someone who knows Tony well. Julia was suggested - Action: PNJ. Modification to the footpath route has not yet progressed.
Work on South Caradon mine buildings
Will not restart until June as the contractors are busy elsewhere.
Disposition of rails at Gonamena
This was not part of the CHAHP meeting, but PNJ raised the issue with IR. We could consider remounting on the setts or display at the village hall. It is unclear what permissions may be needed.
CHAHP are holding a Himalayan Balsalm event at Sibleyback on 2013-05-14 11:00 - 15:00 BST.
There will be a mining heritage event in Liskeard, associated with the museum on 2013-06-15.
CHAHP legacy
There will be a meeting at Wheal Tor on 2013-06-18 to discuss what should be done to sustain the desirable activities of CHAHP after the CHAHP itself is over.
Castle Park, Liskeard
2013-07-15 - 2013-07-19. Surveys and investigation of written evidence about the site.
Mapping the Sun
An archaeological project at Minions 2013-09-16 through 2013-09-20. Parts of the Hurlers will be excavated, exposing the pavement for the equinox. The pavement will be covered again afterwards. Opportunities for hands-on work, including some geophysical surveys.

Next meeting

Wednesday 2013-06-12, 20:00 BST, to be chaired by PNJ.

AOB

PNJ reminded the committee that some role swapping would be desirable and is required by the constitution.

Action summary


Updates

This document is maintained by members of the Darite community. Comments are always welcome and should be addressed to heritage at darite dot org dot uk.
  1. PNJ, 2013-05-12. Transcribed from notes made at the meeting.

Any text you see at this point onwards is the result of the style sheet used by this document being inaccessible or corrupt. The document content above is usable but probably renders less elegantly than the author intended.
Public